Saturday, June 11, 2011

Pride and Prejudice (2005)

I've been asked several times over the past 3 years that I've had this blog as to why I haven't included the 2005 adaptation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. My first answer is that I just haven't got around to it and didn't feel the need to post about it since it has received plenty of publicity. Secondly, I think I felt a sense of loyalty to my favourite version, the classic 1995 miniseries with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle which inspired me to read the novel before I enjoyed that adaptation. But I do find this film, directed by Joe Wright and starring Keira Knightly and Matthew Macfadyen, to be one of the better period dramas out there as I've since discovered plenty of dramas that fail to inspire! I have to say that the cinematography is awesome and while I think that it can't capture the depth of the miniseries, Wright manages to capture the essence of the novel in an abbreviated form. [This DVD has come in handy to loan out to friends who weren't willing to sit through the 6 episodes of the 1995 adaptation but I've not given up hope yet that I can pass on that version to them as well.]

~ CAST ~

Mr. and Mrs. Bennett
(Donald Sutherland and Brenda Blethyn)

Jane and Mary Bennett
(Rosamund Pike and Talulah Riley)

Lydia and Kitty Bennett
(Jena Malone and Carey Mulligan)

Mr. Collins, Lady Catherine de Bourg
(Tom Hollander, Judi Dench)

Charles Bingley and sister Caroline
(Simon Woods, Kelly Reilly)

Mr. Wickham
(Rupert Friend)

Charlotte Lucas, Georgiana Darcy
(Claudie Blakley, Tamzin Merchant)

Lizzie with Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner
(Peter Wight, Penelope Wilton)

Photo gallery:





























































































































































































































If you're a fan of this movie and haven't already discovered Jeane's blog,
check out the Pride and Prejudice (2005) Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment